Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'm Impressed!

Ok so who knew I could cook?!!? I am impressed with myself. My grandma has been staying with me since I moved in to my apartment in St. Pete last weekend. I have thoroughly enjoyed her company and I will be sad to see her leave tomorrow morning. Anyway she has been my guniea pig this week and so far everything I've made has been a success!

Monday: Steak, Mashed Potatoes and Peas
Tuesday: Hamburger Helper
Wednesday: Pork Chops, Rice a Roni and Salad
Thursday: Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

Hope tonight's dinner with be successful as well! I guess I won't be cooking too much once she is gone because there is no way I can eat all of that stuff by myself! Does anyone have any good ideas for a nice dinner for 1? I would have to have so much leftovers because I don't really do leftovers often....please share if you have something! :)

Anyway, I love my apartment. It's so cute and I have a perfect view outside my door. I got a cute screened in porch and my apartment overlooks a lake with water fountains, ducks, birds and fish. It's beautiful! I've had my windows open every single day since I got here because the weather is simply beautiful. So far it feels like a tropical vacation here...but I'm sure once I start work on Monday all of that will change! hehe

We drove down on Saturday...took us 8 hours to get here because of traffic and pulling the U-Haul. We had to stop often too because there were so many of us traveling. My family stayed until Sunday afternoon and it was hard to see them go. I can't wait to get back home to see them again. So far I'm doing really good. I'm not home sick yet and hopefully I won't be with time. I really really love it here and I don't see myself moving back to Charleston. Maybe one day.....

I'm settled in and I love it! My apartment is good sized and my kitchen and bedroom are huge! I'm glad I decided on the one bedroom because I do not have enough stuff to fill a two bedroom, not to mention I don't really need one. My bathroom is decorated really cute (thanks Mom) and I'm slowly filling up my cabinets and closets with things that I need.

I drove to St. Pete beach with my grandma today. We've been exploring while she has been here. We had no clue where we were going, we just got in the car and drove! St. Pete beach is nice but I like Clearwater beach much better. I was sad when we got there because it said no dogs allowed on the beach!! Poor Latte! She looked like she was ready to haul butt through the sand....too bad though. She would be allowed on the beach in South Carolina :(

We went to the dog park again today. Oh yeah, there is one of those in my neighborhood and Latte LOVES it! She's been playing with all sorts of different dogs and I've finally gotten her excited about her baby tennis balls! She was too cute the other day. She was terrified on them, but after a while she got use to them and now they are one of her favorite toys! Let's just say that she is totally spoiled already :) She must have like 8 toys already and a cute bed! She also has a small upper respiratory infection and is on anti-biotics for that so she can get better! My poor pup!

Anyway, I can go on and on about that dog! I just love her so much!!! I wish everyone could meet her because she is something else! I love my little Punkin'!

Anyway, I must run and get dinner started, Gran is giving me the eye! HAHA

Have a good Friday everyone! I'm going to enjoy it because I start work Monday....FINALLY after being unemployed for almost 3 months! I am so ready to work! Woohoo!

6 comments:

Mandy and Jack said...

Yay, you! Way to go with the cooking and moving thing. The home sick thing will get easier with time; don’t worry.

I have something you can cook, and it’s EASY!! My mom’s lasagna! And you can make it in an 8x8 dish instead of the 9x13 if you don’t want so many leftovers.

All you do is brown a pound of mild Italian sausage (unless you like spicy; I don’t), drain it, then add a bottle of Prego (the “family size” bottle – you can save the extra sauce for other pasta or freeze it but with a pound of sausage you need the big jar).

Put a layer of sauce on the bottom of the glass lasagna dish, then no-boil (sometimes called ready-to-bake) lasagna noodles, then cottage cheese (my husband hates cottage cheese but loves this lasagna so even if you don’t like it you will probably still like this), then the meat sauce, then mozzarella cheese, then start over with the noodles. Really the order doesn’t matter that much, just layer all of it until you hit the top layer, which should be mozzarella cheese on top of sauce.

Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then another 15 minutes uncovered. It’s delicious and super-easy!! 

Good luck with everything!!!

Terri said...

so glad to hear that things are going so well1 I LOVE ST. Pete and Clearwater. My husband lived in clearwater for 6 years then went to school at UF! He SSOO wants to be back one day soon!

Following Him said...

YAY for you...I am so glad you learned about a hidden talent and can now name yourself cook!!!
~Elyse~

The Griffith Family said...

good to see you post. I've been checking in to see how things were going for ya. I'm glad to hear your gran was in town with ya... it helps a lot and I'm sure she's been lots of help. You're very blessed to still have her.. is this your mom's mom? I've met her b/f and she's just like you're mom is... sweet as ever! I can't wait to hear how work goes for you on Monday. I hope you have the strength to post something come Monday night. What are your hours? Well, keep that chin up and stay positive. As far as cooking for one... I would eat lots of salads when Jamie deployed. I did have the kids but most of the time they got the unhealthy stuff while I just ate my salads... it also helped me loose lots of weight- which I liked... so long for that since he's home with us all the time now. Do you have a Panera Bread around.... if so- they have wonderful sandwiches and soups. You'll see that you'll end up spending as much on grabbing something out as you would to by groceries for you to have at home for just you. But, be careful- eating out can get old and catch up with those hips... heehee.
Love ya girl and can't wait to hear more.

Jen B. said...

Congrats on the cooking! And on getting settled into your apartment!

Sure hope Latte gets better soon!

carol said...

Hey cooking can be fun and easy even I can cook for one-now that Q. is almost 19 he is never home!If you dont have a George Foreman (I have a "fake" one Hamilton Beach from Walmart-much cheaper and easier because the grill plates come out and you can hand wash or diswasher them. You can make great salmon steaks,boneless skinless chicken breast and juicy hanb or turkey steaks even the very lean is juicy. Just get some Emeril seasoning and Italion dressing for marinade and you are good to go. very diet friendly and you cna make extras for later. Take to lunch and you will save yourself about 8000 takeout calories LOL. Time from start to cleanup is 20-30 mins. and it tastes like you have really done something! Good luck in St. Pete and we will keep you and David on our prayer lists. Luv Ya!